Delta Rice Pudding
By Chef Cole Ellis at Delta Meat Market in Cleveland, Mississippi
Published in Delta Magazine September/October 2015 Edition
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup Delta Blues Rice Grits
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1/2 cup dried cherries
1. Bring 1 1/2 cups water, rice grits, dried cherries and salt to simmer in large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Reduce heat to low; cover. Simmer until water is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
3. Add milk, cream and sugar. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean.
4. Increase heat to medium; cook uncovered until rice is tender and mixture thickens slightly to a soft creamy texture, stirring occasionally; about 35 minutes.
5. Remove pudding from heat and discard vanilla bean.
6. Divide pudding evenly among small bowls. Serve warm or press plastic wrap directly onto surface of each pudding and chill thoroughly. To serve, garnish with maple syrup, berries and white chocolate. Enjoy
photo by Jennifer Johnson | The Coastal Table