Bruleed Breakfast Brown Rice Grits
recipe by The Coastal Table | photo by Jennifer Johnson
A perfect make-ahead brunch dish. We love it topped with caramelized bananas, but it would work with just about any topping or fruit you prefer.
1 1/2 cups brown rice grits, rinsed
3 1/2 cups water
1/4-1/2 cup cream
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1-2 tablespoons coconut (or regular) sugar, plus extra for brulee
1 large banana, sliced
Fleur de sel, for garnish, optional
1. In a saucepan, add grits and water and bring to a boil. Give it a stir, cover, and simmer for about 25 minutes until grits are tender. Remove from heat and stir in cream and vanilla and allow to cool to room temperature.
2. Once cooled, divide grits into small bowls or cups, leveling off tops of each slightly so almost smooth.
3. Meanwhile, in a non-stick pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add sugar and when melted, add banana slices in a single layer and allow to cook for about 30 seconds without touching. Flip slices and cook until slices are caramelized. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
4. Drizzle an even layer of sugar over top of each cooled bowl of grits, tilting bowls slightly to distribute sugar evenly over top. Using a kitchen torch (or you can broil these if using oven-safe dishes), slowly brown tops of each one, caramelizing sugar. Allow them to cool slightly.
5. To serve, divide caramelized bananas among dishes, top with a pinch of salt (if using) and serve.